Marathon Patent Group Receives Updated Analysis in New ReportShare this:
NEW YORK, NY -- (Marketwired) -- 09/16/14 -- Marathon Patent Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: MARA), a patent licensing company, announced the commercial launch of its Opus Patent Analysis Platform this week. Marathon has received plenty of attention recently, and today, John H. Ford, who's been an active investor in the intellectual property space since he first invested in VirnetX four years ago, added to the growing interest with his update at Seeking Alpha.
Ford said: "When I first began writing about Marathon last year, the stock was trading in the $4.50 range. It recently hit $16, and with just one large settlement announcement, it could more than double again."
Some highlights from Ford's research:
- Marathon has one of the best business models in the IP sector
- Marathon subsidiaries collectively own 128 patents and contract rights for 10 patents
- Revenue and profitability are increasing
- Gross margins are typically 45%-55%
- Marathon has 1 defendant currently scheduled for a Markman Hearing in 2014 and 29 for 2015
- Marathon has 17 defendants currently scheduled for trial in 2015, and 4 defendants currently scheduled for trial in 2016
- Marathon subsidiaries have 87 active defendants
- Marathon has a low, fully diluted, share count of about 7 million (Half held by Insiders and Affiliates)
Ford says, "In some regards, Marathon reminds me of my VirnetX trade. I was introduced to VirnetX when it was trading at $2/share. I established a position at $5, published my first VirnetX article at $12, and the shares rose to $40.
Currently, I like Marathon better than VirnetX, because, not only is Marathon generating revenue and profits, but I just uncovered the fact that one of its patent portfolios, the Signal IP portfolio, has estimated damages for the 13 defendants named so far, to be $1.4-1.6 billion. In my opinion, the Marathon team could surprise investors with some large settlements and licensing agreements, and if that happens, Marathon shareholders will benefit. This team has already demonstrated its ability to monetize its patent portfolio, and given the recent developments, we could see monetization on a much larger scale."
About Stock Market Media Group
Stock Market Media Group is a research and content development Investment relations firm offering a platform for corporate stories to unfold in the media with reports, interviews and articles. For more information: www.stockmarketmediagroup.com.
Contact: Stock Market Media Group Email Contact
Source: Marathon Patent Group, Inc.
Released September 16, 2014Share this: